In addition to the main VIA Surveys (VIA-120 for Adults and VIA Youth- 96) that are offered for free on the VIA website to the general public, VIA also makes a number of other assessments available to researchers as a means to advance the science of character. Click on the individual assessment name to see the related psychometric information, appropriate citation and status of available translations.
The VIA Youth Survey (ages 10-17)
Revised versions of these assessments are now under development.
- VIA Youth- 96: 96 items, positively and negatively keyed; translations available, 24 strength scales can be computed
- VIA Youth- 198: 198 items, positively and negatively keyed, 24 strengths scales can be computed.
The Original VIA Adult Assessmets:
All scales have good reliability and accumulating validity (see psychometrics data), and are available in a variety of translations. All items on these versions are positively keyed.
- VIA-IS: 240 items, all items positively keyed, translations available, signature strengths and 24 strengths scales can be computed
- VIA-120: 120 items, all items positively keyed, translations available, signature strengths and 24 strength scales can be computed
- VIA-72: 72 items, all items positively keyed, translations available, signature strengths and 24 strengths scales can be computed
NOTE: The VIA Institute considers both the VIA-120 and VIA-72 substantially equivalent to the original long version as to internal consistency reliability and validity measures described. However, each researcher will need to make their own determination.
The Revised VIA Adult Assessments:
In July 2017, the VIA Institute completed and released a substantial revision of the VIA Inventory of Strengths, as well as the development of several new scales. These new assessments are called the VIA Assessment Suite for Adults. A complete Technical Report describing the Assessment Suite for Adults is available here.
- VIA-IS-R: 192 items, positively and negatively keyed; signature strengths, 24 strength scales, and 9 virtue scales can be computed
- VIA-IS-M: 96 items, positively and negatively keyed; signature strengths, 24 strength scales, and 9 virtue scales can be computed
- VIA-IS-P: 96 items, positively keyed; signature strengths, 24 strength scales, and 9 virtue scales can be computed
NOTE: Alternative Measurement Approach: The above measures pose a variety of behavioral, affective, and cognitive expressions for each strength and ask respondents to rate how much the statement is “like me.” The following measures provide each strength definition and then ask respondents to use rating scales that reflect key definitional criteria for “signature strengths.” As such, they look at each strength in terms of its degree of similarity to a signature strength.
Additional Assessment Suite Surveys:
These instruments are available, without registration, for group research pruposes only. Click here to download.
Virtue scales are now available for both the 6 conceptually derived virtues described by Peterson and Seligman (2004) – Wisdom, Courage, Humanity, Justice, Temperance, Transcendence – and the empirically derived 3 virtues described by McGrath (2015) – Caring, Inquisitiveness, and Self-Control. They can be administered as stand-alone measures. Virtue scales are also computed as part of the VIA-IS-R, VIA-IS-M, and VIA-IS-P surveys.
- VIA-IS-V6: 48 items, positively and negatively keyed; 6 virtue scales can be computed
- VIA-IS-V3: 24 items, positively and negatively keyed; 3 virtue scales can be computed
NOTE: Different measurement approaches may come up with different results as a matter of measurement variance and error. For example, the set of signature strengths from the VIA-IS may differ from sets suggested by the VIA-IS-R, the new short forms, and the Signature Strengths Scale. Also, virtue scores derived from the VIA-IS-R may differ from those derived from the VIA-IS-M or VIA-IS-P.
Experimental Character Strength Survey:
The following measure has been shown to be promising in initial research studies. While not a direct measure of character strengths, it has been developed for a particular application of character strengths. This assessment is available after registration on the VIA website.