COVID-19 Resources: Learn how to apply character strengths to boost resilience and support others.
Loving- Kindness Meditation
Boost Compassion With This Activity
Loving-Kindness practice is a meditation that involves directing love toward yourself, other people and all living beings. It boosts self-compassion and positive emotions.
How To Do It
- Find a comfortable space to sit quietly and take a few deep, restorative breaths.
- Take a few moments to say the following statements to yourself and truly reflect on the meaning behind them:
- May I be filled with loving-kindness.
- May I be safe from inner and outer dangers.
- May I be well in body and mind.
- May I be at ease and happy.
- Now, think of the people in your life that you love. Say the statements again, replacing "I" with "you" and imagine those individuals as you say each.
Why Do It
Research shows exercises promoting self-compassion, such as this meditation can decrease anxiety and rumination and boost feelings of happiness and optimism.