Appreciation of Beauty and Excellence as a Top Strength:
If Appreciation of Beauty and Excellence is your top strength you notice and appreciate beauty, excellence, and/or skilled performance in all domains of life, from nature to art to mathematics to science to everyday experience.
Appreciation of Beauty and Excellence falls under the virtue category of Transcendence. Transcendence describes strengths that provide a broad sense of connection to something higher in meaning and purpose than ourselves.
There are three types of goodness for which individuals high in Appreciation of Beauty and Excellence are responsive to:
- Physical beauty. This may be visual, auditory, tactile, or abstract. This type of goodness produces awe and wonder in the individual experiencing it.
- Skill or talent (excellence). This is often energizing, and makes the individual want to pursue their own goals. It produces admiration.
- Virtue or moral goodness (moral beauty). Virtual goodness makes the individual want to be better, more loving, and produces feelings of elevation.
Exercises for Boosting Appreciation of Beauty and Excellence:
- Keep a "beauty log." When you believe you are seeing something beautiful- whether it is from nature, is human-made (e.g., artwork), or is the virtuous behavior of others- write it down. Describe the beauty in a few sentences.
- Get regular exposure to green space in your environment, especially if you live/work in an urban setting.
- Take part in outdoor experiences, such as camping to enhance appreciation for what is usually taken for granted, such as soft beds, warm showers, etc.
Video on the Finding the Perfect Moment of Beauty and Peace:
Want to Learn More? Log in to your account and download your personalized VIA Reports for more your VIA character strengths.
Don't Know Your Top Strengths? Take the free VIA Survey and find out!