COVID-19 Resources: Learn how to apply character strengths to boost resilience and support others.
“I treat everyone equally and fairly, and give everyone the same chance applying the same rules to everyone.”
Become Aware Of Your Strength
What is Fairness?
Fairness is treating people justly, not letting your personal feelings bias your decisions about others. You want to give everyone a fair chance, and believe there should be equal opportunity for all, though you also realize that what is fair for one person might not be fair for another.
Fairness is a cognitive judgment capacity that involves reasoning and making judgments. It involves 2 types of reasoning:
- Justice reasoning which emphasizes logic and weighing principles to determine moral rights and responsibilities.
- Care reasoning which includes empathy and compassion; the ability to put yourself in somebody else's shoes.
Explore Your Strength
Reflect on how you’ve used fairness in the past, in everyday life and during special or critical times.
Apply Your Strength
How can you make the most of fairness in your everyday life? In the moments that matter most? Here are some ideas.
- Self-monitor to see whether you think about or treat people of other ethnicities and cultures stereotypically.
- The next time you make a mistake, self-monitor to see whether you admit it.
- Involve others in decisions that affect them and allow them to disagree with your ideas and assumptions. Invite their ideas for other ways to approach the decision.